Saturday, May 31, 2014

Trouble? I Can Relate!








A little boy on the verge of tears tracked me down in the hall early yesterday morning. He and his younger brother had been slowpokes about getting out of bed and off to school, and their mom had been understandably frustrated with their lack of cooperation. Tears rolled down the child's face as he talked about the rotten start to his morning, and his unhappiness was fueled by the fact that he blamed his brother for causing most of the problem. At one point he said that his mom had mentioned that she was going to spank them if they didn't improve. Then he said, "I thought she had forgotten all about spankings!" Wanting to let him know that I understood, I told him about how my mama used to switch me when I disobeyed her and how my legs would dance a jig as she did so. I also told him about how my husband's mom would send him outside to get his own switch. He'd intentionally choose a rather thick one and partially break it, knowing it would snap when his mother switched him, causing her to feel guilty and consequently stop the spanking! After these humorous reminiscences, the child and I were both giggling, and it was obvious that he felt better. It was then that he said something that cracked me up. In an incredulous tone of voice, he said, "My mom has absolutely no embarrassment. She carries a wooden spoon everywhere she goes, even out in public." Laughing out loud, I said, "I just have a mental image of your mother pulling that spoon out of her purse at the grocery story, brandishing it in your faces, and giving you and your brother the evil eye. Your mama's got game!" He snickered along with me, and our conversation ended on a positive note!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!