Monday, May 26, 2014

Compassion



(This isn't really about school counseling, but the story could be used as an example of empathic actions, so here goes!)

Although I have lots of room for improvement, I'm pretty good about writing notes and sending cards to people. Phillip, on the other hand, is "allergic" to doing so, which I would guess is common to the male gender. (No offense guys...some of you may be great at this!) Anyway, the fact that Phillip dreads written correspondence is what makes this story so sweet. 
He and I are greeters at one of the entrance doors at our church, and there's a congenial older couple who used our door. We'd seen them at restaurants and usually chit-chatted in a friendly manner as they came and went. Even though we enjoyed visiting with this couple at the door, we didn't even know their names, due to the fact that we attend a large church with several services. Last Sunday, before I arrived at our door, Phillip greeted the man and asked where his wife was. Looking pitiful (in Phillip's words), the man told him that his wife had died 2 weeks ago. Later in the week, Phillip said he just couldn't quit thinking about how sad the man looked when he talked about his wife, so all on his own, Phillip went to the store and found a card to send him. He wrote the sweetest note, telling the man how much we had enjoyed greeting them and seeing them out and about. The reason I know what the note said is that he made a copy for me to read, since the letter had been mailed by the time I got home from school. He was worried that he hadn't said the right things. This touched my heart and made me so thankful to have such a sensitive, compassionate husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!