Tuesday, May 27, 2014

It's a Small World After All

As I mentioned in an earlier post this week, I'm doing daily check-ins with a cute little red-haired kindergartner, encouraging him to pay good attention during listening time. As it happened, I had his class this morning, so I kept my eyes on him to see how well he focused and cooperated. With just a couple of minor exceptions, he did a good job, and I could tell he was trying. Then, at the end of class, something precious happened. As we sang and danced to a song called "Do the Right Thing", my little friend noticed that a new classmate who speaks no English was just jammin' away to the music, bouncing and flapping his arms and flashing a mile-wide grin. While this occurred, I was making my rounds among the 40-something children, holding my toy microphone in their faces so they could take turns singing into it. Because we had so many children in the room, I wasn't going to be able to give every child a chance to sing in the microphone before the song ended. My orange-headed friend came over to me, tapped me on the shoulder, and asked me to give his Spanish speaking buddy a chance to sing. As I did what he asked, the two boys threw their arms around each other's shoulders and swayed to the music, belting out the lyrics as one. Don't you just love the ecumenical spirits of little children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!