Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Girl With the Hello Kitty Backpack




Inside the walls of our primary school, crowded hallways are the norm at 7:30 a.m. as hundreds of little children make their way to class. Walking those hallways is always a fun experience for me, and I always hear interesting conversations. Recently, I was chit-chatting and greeting students as I headed toward the first grade area. Hearing a gaggle of giggling girls right behind me, I turned my head to see what was so amusing. Walking down the hall in their midst was a dark-haired little boy ducking his head and smiling shyly. "Miss Mimi, I have a girlfriend," he said. "Oh REALLY, do I get to know who she is, or is that private information?" I asked. At this point in the conversation, a fair-skinned little girl with long blonde hair who was walking in front of us turned her head and glanced in our direction. She rolled her eyes slightly and gave the little boy a coy smile as he answered me in a whisper, "The girl with the Hello Kitty backpack." As both children blushed, they turned the corner and went in separate directions to their classrooms. I was left with a smile on my face and joy in my heart as I realized that I'd just seen a glimpse of an innocent first crush!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!