Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Love One Another







(While this isn't a school story, it could be used as an example in a lesson on taking initiative.)


Something both touching and concerning happened at church today. As Phillip and I were at our post as greeters near the children's check-in desk, I noticed a wheelchair-bound man struggling to open the door to the small men's restroom across the way. Try as he might, he couldn't pull the heavy door toward him and still remain seated. I nudged Phillip, and he went over to open the door for the man, who was very friendly and appreciative. Phillip remained outside the door until the man was finished so that he could assist him in getting out and back into the hallway. He also told this man that we're always posted at the same spot between church services and that he'd always be glad to help him. Two thoughts crossed my mind during this interaction. First of all, I'm so thankful for my precious, compassionate, retired special ed teacher husband, and secondly, if a door has a handicapped sign on it, it should be a door that can be easily accessed by a person in a wheelchair. This is something I'll respectfully suggest to our church staff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!