Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Busted!

Well, dang! I got reprimanded by a class of first graders! We're having a lesson on empathy, and I told the children that we'd have a song to dance to after our story. Since they were accustomed to singing Dolly Parton's version of "Put a Little Love in Your Heart", they asked if we'd be having that one again. "No," I said. "We're having a new song called 'Give a Little Love' by a man with a very unusual name." "What's his name?" they asked curiously. Drawing it out, I said, "Ziggggy Marrrrley!" and started laughing. Raising her hand, a fair-skinned little girl said in a serious tone, "You're not having empathy, Miss Mimi. It's not nice to make fun of people's names." Giggling, I tried to explain that I wasn't really making fun of Ziggy's name, but that I thought it was cute. However, it was too late. The class stuck out their bossing fingers at me and chanted in unison, "Don't do it again! Don't do it again! Don't do it again!" I guess I stand corrected, but I'm glad to know they were on the right track toward showing empathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!