Monday, May 26, 2014

Well, She Gets Points For Trying!


On the very first morning of the very first day of school, a spic and span first grade girl walked up to me at bus duty and poked my arm to get my attention. As I bent down to converse more easily, she looked at me, pointed to her eyes, and fluttered her eyelashes quickly and repeatedly. She said, "Hey Miss Mimi, I forgot what you call it, but remember this?" I said, "Oh yes...butterfly wings! I'm glad you reminded me about that!" Now the children know that when I say "Butterfly Wings!" to a class, it's a silly way to get them to focus on me. They know to get still and quiet, point their noses at me, and flutter their eyelashes over and over like butterfly wings. At the end of the day, I once again encountered this little girl at dismissal. Running over to me, she again tapped me, pointed to her eyes, fluttered her lashes and said triumphantly, "Butterfly Ears!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!