Monday, May 26, 2014

A Good Example for Me

While standing in line to check in at the airport this morning, Phillip and I were behind a lady trying to handle 2 toddlers in a double stroller and also juggle tons of luggage. I wondered about the logistics of traveling under those conditions. I noticed that going through security took her about 20 minutes longer than it did us. Soon afterwards, I realized that she would be on our plane to Newark and heard her say she was traveling on to New Delhi. As soon as we boarded the tiny express plane, her daughters started crying, wailing, and howling in turn. Seriously, not until the last 20 minutes of our 2 hour flight did they settle down. I learned an important lesson, though. As I was sitting there thinking mean-spirited thoughts about the noisy girls and their mom, I saw a pretty blonde lady move to sit behind the harried mom. She helped the mother get things out of a large shopping bag so that she could try to soothe the children. Later, she also helped carry strollers and bags so that the mom could more easily get off the plane. Yes, I felt ashamed and wished I'd had the compassion and empathy to reach out and lend a helping hand instead of sit there and judge. What a good example in international relations this kind lady set!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!