Tuesday, May 27, 2014

That's My Thing!

Here comes another story about my first grade "Mr. Personality". (I also have kindergarten and second grade candidates in mind for this year's title!) This is the same little boy I've written about twice previously this week, the one who wants to live in a bro-cave and learn to spell "extravaganza-glorious". First, let me set the stage by explaining that our second grade guidance lesson recently was on confidence. We all have areas that we feel sure about, which is a very good thing. However, we need to have empathy in all circumstances, which means we don't show off or brag about our skills and talents. Instead, we help and encourage whenever possible. Well, during each class, I had children tell me what they felt confident about in their own lives. Answers included math, reading, baseball, gymnastics, drawing, etc. One afternoon during that week, I was talking with "Mr. Personality", listening as he enthusiastically described his spring break vacation to the beach. After telling me about finding a starfish and some crabs, he looked up toward the ceiling and started counting on his fingers. Then he said, "Yep, 10. I made 10 friends on the beach." "Wow!" I said. "You must be easy to get to know!" Nodding his head, he said, "Yep, making friends is my thing!" Now that's confidence, and in one of life's very most important areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!