Monday, May 26, 2014

Labor Day Thoughts: Reframing Work

During my devotional time this morning, I read a good Labor Day story that made me think. Here's part of it:

"It was one of those large gatherings, in a room filled with people you know only by their name tags. When I asked a woman I'd just met one of the typical questions we all ask in settings like that-----'What do you do?'-----I expected a typical response in return. But that's not what I got. She smiled and said quietly. 'I bring hope to people who are hurting.' With a little more digging, I got the answer I'd originally expected: She was a store clerk in a local grocery store. But she didn't see her job simply as a job. It was also a way to use the gifts of hospitality and love God had given her to make the world a better place.  And so, she said, she especially paid attention to people who looked sad or careworn and intentionally offered them a simple word of kindness.  'I think it makes a difference,' she concluded. "  

After reading this in its totality, it occurred to me that reframing my daily work as LARGER work that God has given me to do in order to make the world better is indeed the way to live my life. It may not make the daily grind easier, but it will surely make it more meaningful and compelling.

Each of us, whether we're retired, homemakers, career people, or engaged in part-time work, have daily opportunities to touch those with whom we come in contact with encouragement and kindness. We all have the potential to bloom where we are planted and spread some sunshine along our pathways.

After reading this story, I went shopping. The young girl monitoring the dressing rooms was so friendly and engaging, even though she was working on a holiday. She complimented me, and I heard her kind words to others who came in and out. As I was leaving, I mentioned that I was sorry she had to work on Labor Day. She said with a smile, "Oh that's okay! I'm getting time and a half, and that's always a good thing!" I said, "Well you certainly are a cheerful person, and I appreciate that!"

I hope to keep and share this spirit of goodwill as often as possible throughout this new school year. Happy Labor Day, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!