Monday, May 26, 2014

Mixed Up Maiden

I've posted before about an adorable first grade girl who always comes over to tell me things she's learned in guidance class, some silly and others important. The funny part is that, although she's trying her best to get things right, she's usually mistaken in some form or fashion. I never correct her because she's TOO cute, and I don't want to embarrass her! Several times this year, she's approached me and said, "Miss Mimi, Butterfly Ears!" Then she'll flutter her eyelashes rapidly. The mistake here is that she's supposed to say, "Butterfly Wings!", which is just something silly I do at the beginning of each class.

Well, one day this week, she saw me in the hall and said, "Miss Mimi, Butterfly Wings!" I was impressed with the fact that she had it straight when she immediately pointed her nose at me and said, "Dog Bird!" Now the mistake here is that she was supposed to say "Bird Dog!", which is a silly way that I get the kids to quickly focus on me in guidance class. When I say "Bird Dog!", they're supposed to get still and quiet and point their noses at me like a bird dog so I'll know they're ready to look and listen and learn learn learn!

But it's not over. Spontaneously, since she was on a roll, she started pumping her arms like a cheerleader and chanting, "Safe, Feel, What's going on!" Let me explain THIS blunder.

Four questions to ask yourself when you're deciding what to do or how to act are: "Is it safe? How might people feel? Is it fair? Will it work?" And when you want to know how people feel, three clues are to look at face,

body language, and what's going on around them (the context). So two different chants I've taught the children, having to do with two different topics (decision making and understanding how others feel), are: "Face, Body, What's going on!" and "Safe? Feel? Fair? Work?" Hopefully you can see that this little imp had confused the two chants. She had combined them into a cheer of her own: "Safe? Feel? What's going on?"

Obviously this child has been paying attention and wants to learn, and I give her points for trying, but she's absolutely cracking me up this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!