Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Sunny Side Up!




Have you ever noticed that some people just naturally spread sunshine and that others gravitate in their direction? Well this holds true in classrooms, too, and I have just such a child in mind. Since it's close to the end of the year, I'm doing a survey with my classes just to see what the children like and don't like about guidance class. This will help me plan for next year. One of the 8 statements says, "Miss Mimi is nice," and the students are supposed to show me thumbs up or thumbs down, as they are instructed to do for all the survey items. Of course I tell the students it's okay to be honest and that I won't say a word, but simply count the responses. After reading this statement the other day, I noticed a chubby-cheeked kindergartner rolling with laughter. "What's so funny?" I asked. Continuing to laugh, the little boy said, "That's silly. EVERYBODY knows Miss Mimi's nice!" Thanking him, I moved on to other questions, which had to do with all the different types of activities and materials I use in class. When the survey was over, I said, "Thanks for doing that. I know it was boring, but we only have to do it once a year, and it'll help make first grade guidance class better next year." Grinning broadly, my same jolly friend said, "It wasn't boring, Miss Mimi, it was FUN!" Then others followed his lead, saying, "Yeah, it was FUN!" Children like this are just ringleaders of positivity, if that's even a word, and I SO appreciate them! We adults can learn a lesson from this little man's attitude, as people of all ages in all settings can benefit from being around a human sunbeam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!