Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Make Somebody's Day!





While checking out a library book at school one day last week, I gave my name to a lovely petite lady who was volunteering at the desk. "Are you Miss Mimi?" she asked. Then she proceeded to tell me that she'd been meaning to write me a letter letting me know how much my lessons on getting along with people had helped her daughter. Apparently her little girl has had some ongoing peer dilemmas this school year and used to be highly distressed by them. However, her mom said that the child listens very intently to my lessons on dealing with teasing, bothering, and bullying and is able to come home and teach her mom what new ideas she's learned. Not only does she have the head knowledge, but her little girl applies what she's learned and has become much more confident in dealing with friendship problems. All people want to know that their efforts are making a difference, and often we don't know for sure, we just have HOPE that what we do matters. The very kind words and affirmation I received from this cordial lady in the library not only encouraged me but also reminded me to take the time to share my appreciation and thanks with those people who touch my life in positive ways. I told a cashier on Saturday how helpful, pleasant, and conscientious she had been about checking me out and packaging my purchases. I told a kindergarten teacher how much I appreciated her flexibility and willingness to help me every single time I ask. Expressing specific gratitude can flat out make somebody's day, or even their WEEK, and it's a habit I really want to hone. Heaven knows this old world needs more courtesy and kindness, and I hope to do a better job of spreading sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!