Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pet Teacher, Indeed!

Finally the day arrived, the day teachers had been preparing for during the last few weeks. Many parents, and especially their children, had been eagerly anticipating the beginning of the school year, which is kicked off with a sneak peek that we call Meet Your Teacher Day. Since my room is near the school entrance, I was a greeter for most of the day, hugging and welcoming and helping people find their new classrooms. At one point I wandered into the foyer and spotted one of our returning students, a first grader who was holding onto her mom's waist patiently as the adults around her socialized. Suddenly, the little girl, who was wearing a pink floral top and sparkly headband, saw me walk in her direction. With widened eyes and a gasp of surprise, she pulled on her mom and blurted, "Mom, Mom, it's my PET teacher!!" Hugs and giggles followed as we said hello and welcome to each other. Now in case you're wondering, the child didn't mean that I was her pet teacher in the sense of being her FAVORITE. She meant that I'm the teacher who brings a bag of puppets to her classroom throughout the year. Although it would be nice to be her favorite, it's very rewarding to know that I'm able to teach kids important life skills in a way that's fun and memorable to them. Seeing all those shining, enthusiastic faces has gotten me pumped for a new school year! Best wishes to all the educators and parents and children out there. May your school year be both happy and productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!