Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Nicknames

Here's an update on the kindergarten couple who is "engaged"! One morning recently, I went to check on the adorable blond boy, and he bopped to the door to greet me decked out in dress-up clothes, or at least partially so. To be precise, he wore a red and white checked long-sleeved shirt with the tail hanging out, a black corduroy suit vest, a gold clip-on tie (slightly askew), khaki shorts, and orange tennis shoes. "Wedding clothes?" I asked. "Yeah, we decided to wear them today," he replied. "Who decided?" I wondered. He explained that he and his sweetheart had decided to dress for the engagement festivities again, and yes, she had on a bright pink, white, and black girly-girl long dress. As had happened before, when I went back to their classroom to teach guidance an hour and a half later, the groom was dressed in a plain gray t-shirt and shorts! This morning, I said to the little boy, "Way to go, Baby Doll!" Thinking he might not like this handle, I explained, " I know you're not a baby. That's just what I call people I care about. I even call my husband Baby, and you know HE'S not a real baby!" Nodding with understanding, my kindergarten friend said, "I know. My girlfriend and I call each other names, too." Curious, I asked, "What do you call her?" "CoCo," he said. "And what does she call you?" "Willy Billy," he answered. I only have one more day to check on this favorite child of mine. No telling what will develop in this affair of the heart during the summer, but I'll certainly try to find out come mid-August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!