Monday, June 30, 2014

No Need For A Substitute!







Okay, y'all, I was astounded by a kindergartner recently! Our lesson was on listening, and we had just finished reading a story called Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen. Howard, a little white rabbit, had had a terrible, rotten, no good, very bad day. He'd gotten into trouble and danger 5 different times, all because he didn't listen to his teachers and friends. Just before Howard decided to change his ways, the book showed a double page of pictures summing up the problems of his day. There was a picture of Howard with his ears caught in a ceiling fan, one of him lying on the cafeteria floor after slipping on a banana peel, one of his alligator friend's snout wrapped up in Howard's yoyo, one of this same friend's dress splattered with paint, and one of Howard with a black eye. As I read this page to the class, a ginger haired little girl raised her hand. I said, "Whatcha need, Sweetie?" As cool as a cucumber, this child walked to the front of the class and said, "I think we could call these consequences." Then she proceeded to point to each picture and explain to her friends how each problem Howard had was a consequence of his poor listening skills! My eyes got as big as saucers and my jaw dropped, as we had not even mentioned the word "consequence"! I'm signing this girl up to substitute for me if I ever have to miss her class! By the way, her teacher, who was working in the back of the room, stopped what she was doing, looked at me, put her hand over her mouth, and cracked up silently!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!