Thursday, July 3, 2014

Wise Beyond His Years

I have a wise and kind-hearted little boy to brag on! During our first visit together this week, I did a getting-to-know-you activity with an adorable freckle-faced kindergartner. We talked about his feelings regarding school, friends, and family, and during the latter part of the conversation, he mentioned that a favorite great-uncle of his had died sometime during this school year. "I got in trouble the night he died," he reminisced. "I was hollering and got up on my train table and jumped around." Thinking he was upset about his uncle's death, I questioned the reason for his behavior. The child said, "No, I was just trying to have fun, and then my brother got off the phone and cried and said my uncle didn't make it. I can't believe I acted so bad the night he died. I loved him very much." I was a bit shocked but very impressed that this little blue-eyed guy had put so much afterthought into the way he comported himself that night. What a good strong conscience he must have, as well as the willingness to admit and learn from his mistakes. I know I'll love working with this little boy and am sorry that I'll have to wait until next school year to get to know him better. He will be one of the reasons I look forward to returning to school at summer's end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!