Saturday, June 28, 2014

"It Was A Mistake"


Two of my end-of-the-year goals are to do a needs assessment and an evaluation of my guidance program with the students. Since they're very young, I just informally ask survey questions in class, and the children raise their hands to indicate yes or no. After I scan the room and get the total number for each survey item, I quickly announce the score, write it down, and move to the next question. Well yesterday, I did an evaluation of my program with some first graders. On each item, I'd have anywhere from 0 to 6 children who answered no, they didn't like something about guidance class. I'd say something such as, "39 to 3" after counting hands on each question. After class was over, we sang and danced to a song, which is how we end most classes. I noticed that a curly haired blond boy was standing about a foot away from me, not singing or dancing. He looked serious, so I figured he was was waiting to talk to me as the class dismissed. I asked, "Do you need me?", and he looked at me with big solemn eyes. "Miss Mimi, I made a mistake. I accidentally didn't raise my hand on some of your questions, but I really do like you and everything we do in guidance. I just made a mistake." I wouldn't have thought much about it, except for the fact that the child's chin was wobbling and his eyes were filling with tears. What I think happened is that he didn't raise his hand when I asked who liked guidance class and again when I asked if he thought I taught important things. Then I think he felt guilty, ashamed, or sorry, and possibly he thought he had hurt my feelings. Anyway, I reassured him that it was no big deal and that it wouldn't take but a second for me to change the scores by 1 vote. He threw his arms around my waist, dried his eyes, and went on back to class. Something about that encounter just tugged at my heart strings, because I think it took a lot of courage for him to come "confess" to me. What a sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!