Friday, October 9, 2015

Foxy Loxy




Puppets are a huge hit with most primary schoolers, so I bring a bag of them to my kindergarten guidance classes.  If I have animal puppets that match the characters in the story we'll be reading that day, I bring those. Otherwise, I bring "visitor" puppets who want a chance to get out of the blasted toy box and be loved by real children!  The other day, I had a story called Nobody Likes Me to read to the class.  It was full of animal characters, so I brought a big dog, little dog, cat, rabbit, lamb, and mouse. The hero of the story is a fox, so I was dismayed when I realized that he was missing from the puppet bag.  "Oh no!" I cried.  "Where's the fox?  I KNOW I took him out of the toy box because  I remember that he was the easiest one to find!  What happened to him over the weekend?  He must have run away!"  Then I heard the most clever words escape the mouth of a pig-tailed girl wearing rainbow stripes.  To the tune of the Baha Men's song, she  sang, "Who let the fox out... who, who, who, who?"  (Think "Who Let the Dogs Out?")  Now that's one little girl who was paying attention, making connections, and is one funny, smart cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!