Saturday, October 3, 2015

Awkward!!



We all know that kindergarten children don't always have the most highly developed filters, and that can make what they say and do surprising, embarrassing, precious, and / or hilarious. Well, yesterday a little boy asked a question that covers three of those four adjectives! As I was unpacking my teaching materials in preparation for a classroom guidance lesson, I picked up my ever-present Care Cat puppet. A sweet little girl piped up, "Miss Mimi, I cheered up my friend when she was crying."
"You were caring about her feelings," I responded. "That makes Care Cat so happy that he's purring!" And I reached over and had the puppet give the child a hug as I made a purring sound. In a split second, a handsome dark-haired boy sitting on the front row blurted out, "Did you just make that cat fart?" Thinking I'd heard him correctly but hoping I HADN'T, I ignored the comment and just kept unpacking. Of course this wasn't good enough, so he once again said, "Miss Mimi, did you just make that cat fart?" At this point his teacher, trying to keep a straight face, said, "The cat was PURRING, Sweetie." And then she ducked her head and pretended to be really busy with paperwork. I saw her giggle trying to escape, though, and that made it even harder to carry on maturely. However, I did my best, and without letting myself belly laugh, I started the lesson with no more embarrassing comments and questions popping up. You just never know what you'll hear when you work with kindergartners, and I'm sure that holds true for students of ALL ages! By the way, the answer I WANTED to give to the little boy's question was, "As IF!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!