Saturday, May 9, 2015

Please Don't Leave!


Boy making a funny face


Well, just before our second graders move on to Farragut Intermediate School, I've discovered a treasure. He's a comedian-in-the-making, for sure! One day last week, I was teaching the Repeat Technique to his class. We've been having a unit of dealing with teasing, bothering, and bullying, and this lesson taught kids to calmly respond to name-calling and insults with the same words over and over, such as "I'm glad you finally noticed!", "I'm glad you finally noticed!", "I'm glad you finally noticed!" Children always enjoy coming up with their own phrases, and I was listening to their suggestions. At this point, a standout comic emerged. When I called on a dark-haired boy with a cowlick, he stood up wearing a big grin, put one hand on a hip and the other on the back of his head in a super-model pose, and said in an exaggerated Southern drawl, "If somebody says 'You're u-u-u-u-gly', I'd just say, (swinging his hips) 'Why I think you're r-i-i-i-i-ight! I must have gone into my mama's closet this morning! My goodness...I'm wearing a dress!' " His friends and I cracked up. Oh man! Why oh why didn't I get to know this little card before he gets ready to leave us for another school? I know we would have bonded big-time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!