Saturday, December 17, 2016

Run That By Me One More Time???


Image result for siri


Okay, Brooke Maner, this story's for you! And I may need to apologize in advance for the off-color content of what I'm about to relate. However, it's true, it was a random, hilarious happening that brightened up a ho-hum day, and it's just too good to keep to myself! As I walked out of my office with a cow-licked, freckle-faced second grader by my side, I overheard Ms. Maner, one of our first grade teachers, talking to Siri. I wasn't trying to overhear, but since I had to walk right past her, I couldn't avoid it, and I'm glad I couldn't! I feel sure my second grade companion would feel the same. Here's what we heard Ms. Maner say to Siri (and in a serious tone of voice, no less). "Remind me to pick my nose at 3 AM." Taken aback, my little friend and I widened our eyes and looked at each other as if our ears were deceiving us. Nope, she said it again, and of course we froze in our tracks to listen. Since we were standing so close and Ms. Maner was holding the phone in front of her face while speaking to Siri, we could overhear. "I'm sorry, Misty, I didn't get that." With a sigh of frustration, Ms. Maner said it again, this time more slowly. "Remind me to pick my nose at 3 AM." Once again, Siri responded that she didn't understand. Now at this point, I had figured out that Brooke was speaking into Misty Fetzer's phone. Misty is Brooke's teaching teammate, and the two are famous for playing good-natured tricks on each other. So Brooke explained to my friend and me that she wanted Siri to wake Misty up at 3:00 and remind her to pick her nose. As the second grader and I cracked up, rolled our eyes, and shook our heads, we said good-bye and left Brooke to her endeavor. Before you go thinking that these two teachers are wacko, let me say that they both create an atmosphere of fun and camaraderie for their students, which leads to their children's enjoyment of school, along with the secure feeling that they're part of a family. This warmth also helps their students be able to put all they have into learning. Although I've seen and heard many unusual sights and sounds in my 30 years traveling Farragut Primary's hallways, this instance has to be one of the most memorable, and I'm glad I happened to walk by at just the right moment to be a witness to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!