Saturday, May 14, 2016

A Day Without Work





"Work first, play later!" is one of the mantras we've learned as part of a kindergarten study skills unit.  "Do the most important things first, bop bop bop!"

At the beginning of each classroom guidance lesson, I have to unpack my bags, which are filled to overflowing with teaching supplies.  (Alas, such are the trials of a traveling teacher!)  Well, I have to carry strong magnets as well as pushpins in order to be able to hang my posters and charts on either magnetic or bulletin boards, depending on which is available in the particular classroom I'm visiting. I always have trouble separating the pushpins from the magnets, as they clump together in the bottom of my bags.  Sometimes I comment that, since they're all grouped together, they're having a PARTY in those bags and that they didn't invite me!

The other day I was trying to untangle the thumbtacks from the magnets as Ms. Smith's kindergarten class waited patiently for me to get ready to teach.  One grinning boy on the front row said, "Are they having a party today, Miss Mimi?"  "I reckon they are," I replied.  As quick as a wink, the clever child quipped, "Work now, party later!"  I cracked up, and so did the other children.  However, I was thrilled that this little tyke had taken to heart the study skills lessons I'd been teaching!

The very next day, I passed Ms. Smith's class on their way back from lunch.  They were in high gear because they'd had field day that morning and were getting ready for their end-of-the-year party that afternoon.  When the teacher spoke to me in the hallway and mentioned their doubly exciting day, I was happy to be able to say to the kids, "Party first, party later!"  And a good time was had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!