Thursday, December 18, 2014

Lost!



During our recent problem-solving unit, I taught the kindergartners a series of questions to ask themselves when they're deciding what to do. I also made sure they learned about how a conscience and a brain can help us and are aware of the comforting fact that they're always with us, even when grown-ups aren't around to tell us what to do. We talked about how we can't run away from our conscience and our brain. If we go to New York City, they go with us. If we go flying high above the clouds, they go with us. If we go scuba diving in the deep blue sea, they go with us, etc. Well this morning, we reviewed those teachings before starting a new unit. Seeing a raised hand, I called on a small dark-eyed boy sitting in a child's rocking chair. Without cracking a smile, he said, "Miss Mimi, I didn't bring my conscience to school today."
Realizing that this was gonna be fun, I said in a serious tone, "Well where is it?"
He replied, "I think I lost it."
"Where do you think it might be?" I asked.
"I don't know. Probably in the garbage," he said.
"So if you see a twenty dollar bill lying on the floor, you're just gonna steal it?" I asked, referring to an example we had talked about in our previous lesson.
Giving me a quizzical look, the child answered, "Why no!"
"Why not?" I asked.
"Because stealing's wrong," he replied.
Grinning, I said, "So your conscience IS at school with you, because that's why you wouldn't take the money!"
Today I passed this same elfin child in the hallway and asked, "Hey, is your conscience at school today?"
Flashing a smile, he said, "No!"
"Where is it?" I said.
"Still in the garbage!" he answered.
What a character. I'm sure we'll enjoy coming back to this conversation again and again as the school year goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!