Saturday, October 25, 2014

Substitute Mimi




I've had lots of heart-warming experiences at school this week! Yesterday, I had a freckle-faced first grade girl eating lunch with me in my room. It was her counseling time, and we'd just finished our conversation and were setting up a board game to play. Before we got started, a substitute teacher tapped on the door with a plea for help. She was subbing in a difficult class, and behind her stood a shame-faced kindergartner clasping his hands in front of his body and wearing an uh-oh expression. The sub asked if I could let the little boy stay in my room for 5 minutes to calm down. She said he could join his class on the playground if he was ready to participate appropriately after that time. I agreed and asked him to have a seat in a comfy green chair behind our counseling table. He complied contritely, and I prepared to go ahead with the game.
However, the first grader I was with had other ideas. Whispering, she said, "Miss Mimi, I think I can help him." Thinking that she probably spoke the truth, I said, "Okay," and sat back to observe. The little girl walked over to the kindergartner, sat down on the floor in front of his chair, and said gently, "Hey, it's never too late to switch it around. I used to get in trouble when I was in kindergarten, but I switched it around." The boy said in a similarly respectful tone of voice, "Well, there's this new student, and he hasn't quite figured out how to get along with people, and he just won't leave me alone."
"Hey, when people bothered me in kindergarten, I would push and shove, but then I switched it around and just ignored them," said the girl. "But I can't ignore him because he follows me around and won't leave me alone," the boy responded. "Well, just ask your teacher for help, okay? Don't fight with him because then you'll get in trouble."
"I'll try," said the kindergartner, sounding calm but not too sure about that suggestion. "Do you think you're ready to go to the playground now?" asked the first grader. "Well yea, I think I am," said the boy.
Since five minutes had passed, I walked the boy outside, where another kindergarten teacher had a pep talk with him. He then went to play. Since I never heard from him for the remainder of the day, I don't know how he behaved. I also know that what he said about the new student is indeed true and that the two of them in the same class is a volatile combination. This little boy has his work cut out for him in the self-control department. The point of this story, though, is how precious it was to sit in the background and listen to two small children empathizing and encouraging each other about the stressors of everyday life at school. I told the little girl that next time I'm absent, I'll suggest that she become MY substitute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!