Saturday, April 9, 2016

I Cannot Tell A Lie



To encourage writing practice and skills, I've been asking first and second graders to write for me this school year. Anything goes, as long as it has a happy ending (!!), I tell them. I'm not checking for spelling or grammar or punctuation, and this is not a requirement. I simply want children to enjoy creativity and putting thoughts down on paper, plus I love to learn more about them. It's been quite fun to read the varieties of papers that show up in my mailbox each day. I've received fanciful fiction, advice for little kids, wishes for the world, true stories related to our guidance class topics, poetry, summaries of what they've learned in school, and yes, I've been reminded of scientific and historical facts I'd long forgotten! At the beginning of each guidance class, I give a writing report, sharing with students the number of papers I've received from each class. I haven't pressured anyone to write, wanting this to be their choice and not an added (and possibly dreaded) schoolwork requirement. Sometimes I have time in guidance class to read a few examples of writings I've received during the week, and the students seem to love hearing these.
Well, the other day I read a story that had been turned in by a sweet, dark-haired second grader. A week later, as I was threading my way through the hallway during the early-morning rush to class, I was stopped by this same little girl. Moving over to a safe spot to talk, I looked down into her earnest-looking brown eyes. "Miss Mimi, I want to be honest. That story I wrote was a summary of a book I read. I didn't make it up." Realizing that she might be feeling a little guilty, I smiled and reassured her. "That's okay, Sweetie. Reading a book and summarizing what you read is like writing a book report. It's an important skill and will help you in your schoolwork as you grow up!" As she nodded with relief, I continued, "But I thank you for being so trustworthy and honest." Giving me a quick hug, the child made her way to class. What a good strong conscience this little child has. Not only is she smart and hard-working, but making an effort to seek me out showed courage. Goodness knows our world needs more people who responsibly live their convictions, and it's a real everyday blessing to be able to help instill character traits in our little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!