Saturday, January 30, 2016

Unexpected Gracenotes




"What in the WORLD??" I asked myself as I headed toward my office at school early one morning. Treasures galore crowded a small wooden chair I keep outside my door.  This chair holds a writing tray on which first and second graders can leave letters and stories they've written for me.  On this particular day, I was excited to see a festive gold and white striped package topped with a sparkly bow, a hot pink envelope, and an intriguing teal and white fabric pouch.  These are not my typical offerings, as you might guess!  With anticipation, I unwrapped the package first, finding about ten second grade writings on heavy white cardstock.  The pages contained a fictional story, a couple of letters telling me what the child had learned in guidance classes, and several very creative songs written by the pretty blond author and a little boy in her class. Next I opened the bright pink envelope, which contained a sweet note written by the second grade girl's nine year old sister, who has moved on to the intermediate school.  In this letter, the older sister told me how much she missed seeing me and being a part of my classes, which warmed my heart.  Finally I opened the fabric drawstring bag, and tears sprang to my eyes.  Inside I found a long strand of white plastic beads which had been handstrung by the second grader along with five shiny metallic marbles.  Hugging these offerings to my heart, I stood alone in my room and gave thanks for pure little hearts who voluntarily shower so much generosity on their teachers.  Oh the joy of everyday blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!