Saturday, December 12, 2015

Christmas Love







Today I'm remembering a sweet, tear-jerking incident that happened at school one December. As I was trying to get my materials packed and leave a classroom, I was swarmed by children who had things to tell me. Since the teacher was frantically trying to get the class to lunch on time, I shooed them back to their seats. One determined little boy, however, wasn't to be stopped so easily. He hung back as I exited the room and then followed me out into the hall. Now this little child was one of my frequent visitors, and also one of my all-time favorites due to his angelic heart (seriously!). In a soft, urgent tone of voice, he said, "Miss Mimi, I need to tell you something. You know that holiday shop in the library?" Knowing that he was referring to a PTA-sponsored shopping experience aimed at helping children buy inexpensive gifts for their families, I nodded. With earnest eyes, he leaned back against the wall and continued. "Well if I had had five more dollars, I would have bought you something. I just had to buy for my family first." Seeing his genuine dejection, I took his little fair-skinned face in my hands and said, "Sweetie, you NEVER have to buy me a present. I know you need to get gifts for your family first, and that's how it's supposed to be. All I want you to do for me is give me a hug and tell me you like talking with me." Nodding his head in understanding, the child said, "Actually I LOVE talking with you, and I think I'm gonna get to see you in 3 more days." Well obviously that was ALL the present I needed. What really makes this story so meaningful is that this precious little boy was one of our children who was considered homeless since he and his family lived in a motel room. It's moments like these that make a career and a life fulfilling and keep me going when things get a little too humdrum. Merry Christmas, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!