Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Turnabout is Fair Play!




Although I don't use names when I write about school happenings, I need to make up some pseudonyms for this particular story. Otherwise it won't make a lick of sense! I walked in to teach a second grade class this afternoon just as the children were finishing up indoor recess. As I unpacked my teaching supplies, a pretty freckle-faced girl named Ella said, "Miss Mimi, we were playing house at recess, and I was married to Billy." She followed this comment with a playfully disgusted look. "Oh, I take it you're not a fan of marriage," I replied. Grinning, she said, "Not when I'm married to Billy." Continuing this interesting conversation, I asked, "So when you played house, your name was Mrs. Conley," which was Billy's last name. Shaking her head vehemently, the child said, "NO, HE'S Mr. KENNEDY," which was HER last name. Laughing, I said, "Oh, so your husband's taking YOUR name. Does Billy know about this?" "Not yet," she admitted. Playing along, I went to Billy's desk and said, "Hey, I understand that your new name is Mr. Kennedy since you married Ella." Standing up forcefully, he raised his eyebrows to the roof, pointed his index finger at Ella, and strode intently in her direction. Fortunately, by this time another class had joined us, most of the students were settling down for guidance class, and I was spared from any further shenanigans! I must say I would have enjoyed continuing the drama for a bit, as all the players were good-natured children having a good time at indoor recess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!