Saturday, September 20, 2014

AKA Cindy Smith




Although I don't use children's names on the posts I write, I have to use a fake one so this story will make sense. You see, it's all about names! In kindergarten guidance classes, I always give out puppets for children to hold while I read them a story. Since I can't carry 20-something puppets to every class, we have to take turns. As I go down the class list and call students' names to come choose a puppet, I rhyme their names the way they're done in the "Name Game" song. For example, Jimmy's name would be "Jimmy Jimmy Bo Bimmy Banana Fanna Fo Fimmy, Fee Fi Mo MImmy, Jimmy!" Sandy's would be "Sandy Sandy Bo Bandy Banana Fanna Fo Fandy, Fee Fi Mo Mandy, Sandy!" I know this is silly, but it's fun! Well one day last week I called a little girl's name, which I'll change to Cindy Smith. "Cindy Cindy Bo Bindy Banana Fanna Fo Findy, Fee Fi Mo MIndy, Cindy," I chimed. With a big smile, the petite child jumped up to select the puppet she wanted. As she headed back to her spot on the carpet, she glanced at me in all seriousness and said, "Actually, my last name's Smith." As I've said in several recent stories, can you say LITERAL?? The teacher and I looked at each other and shared a giggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can now add comments, so please feel free to do so!